Wednesday, October 19, 2016

FotoSketcher for Android - new test app available

Hi all,

If you like to be on the bleeding edge and have an Android device (phone or tablet), here is a new .apk file for you to play with (you will need to allow your Android device to allow untrusted applications to be installed, so it's for advanced users only) : FotoSketcher.apk

You can take photos, open images from your picture gallery, apply different parameters and save the resulting "painting". To open the parameters menu (and run the effect), tap on the menu icon in the top right corner of the screen.

The available effect is very much a work in progress and is far from being finalised.



BTW, you might still encounter "application not responding" error messages, but hopefully they should be rare.

Have fun!

David

4 comments:

Riccardo said...

Hi David,

Just a suggestion for your great program: would it be possible to add a general setting, usable from any of the various sketching styles, to stop the process early at a certain % of completion (equivalent to pressing the Esc button)?

I'm asking because I find that in certain styles (especially Painting 10, brushstrokes, and painting 1,... but sometimes also in other styles), I find that the result looks very promising until the program is about 95% done (or 98% done, or whatever), but then the very last bit kind of ruins it... so I'm forced to run the program again on the same image, with my finger hovering on the Esc button to try to stop it just in time.

It would be a great addition--especially useful when creating more complex scripts.

Riccardo

P.S. I realize that this was a post about the Android version of the app, and that my comment is about the Windows program -- but I thought it was better to add my comment to your most recent post.

David said...

Hi Riccardo,

Thank you for your message and suggestion. It should be possible to add this functionality relatively easily. Although I am concentrating on the Android version at the moment, as soon as I'm done I will work on the PC version again.
In the meantime, you can actually save an image during porcessing simply by clicking on "save the drawing as..." in the top left corner. This allows you to save multiple images and only keep the one you like (without having to press ESC at the exact right time).

Best regards,

David

Zakir Hussain said...

any new updates on the android app

David said...

Hi Zakir,
I was busy working on the Mac version, but I am now making progress on the Android version (with a brand new UI). I am also working on a new effect for the PC version, so I don't know when I can release a new test version for Android, but I'll post on this blog soon.